Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Copied from local newspaper
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 large oven cooking bag
- 1⁄3 cup margarine or 1⁄3 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (5 -7 lb) roasting chickens
- 4 orange slices
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Shake flour in Oven Cooking Bag;
- place in 13x9x2-inch baking pan.
- Combine margarine, basil, orange peel and pepper.
- Rinse chicken; loosen the skin over the breast area by slipping your fingers or a paring knife under the skin.
- Spread 2/3 of the margarine mixture evenly under the skin.
- Place orange slices and 2 onion slices in chicken cavity.
- Spread remaining margarine mixture over outside of chicken.
- Place remaining onion slices in a single layer in bottom of bag.
- Place chicken in bag on top of onion slices.
- Close bag with nylon tie;
- make 6 half-inch slits in top.
- Bake 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours or until tender.