Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This recipe came from my mom and I always loved the flavors. It is very easy and quick and seems to please even picky eaters. Since we have diners that do not like spicy foods, you might want to add heat to yours! You can cook this on the stove top also, (You can also buy the smaller cans of vegetable juice if you don't want red beer with the leftover juice :D).
- 2 lbs ground beef (lean)
- 1⁄2 cup onion (chopped)
- 3 ounces chili seasoning mix (3 pkgs of any brand)
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 15 ounces diced tomatoes (any brand or flavor for chili)
- 15 ounces kidney beans (any brand)
- 23 ounces vegetable juice (V-8 or any store brand, mild or spicy, about 1/2 of a large can)
- Brown ground beef in skillet. (I cook mine with water because it crumbles easier and more of the fat drains off.).
- Drain beef and add onion, the 3 pkgs of chili seasoning and cumin to the skillet and cook a little longer until the seasonings are well blended (about 10 minutes on med-low heat).
- While seasonings are cooking into the meat, rinse and drain the kidney beans well and add to crockpot.
- Add the diced tomatoes (I add the juice also for flavor) to the crockpot.
- Add the browned beef mixture to the crockpot.
- Pour in about 1/2 of the tall 46 oz can of vegetable juice to the crockpot (I usually add about 1/3 of a can first, stir all ingredients and then decide if I want my chili thinner by adding more of the vegetable juice.).
- Cook on low in crockpot for about 2 hours or until all is heated through.
- Serve with cheese, crackers, fritos, cornbread. (Leftovers are great on chili dogs.).
This was a good basic chili. It was a little too "tomatoey" tasting for the group of people that I made it for. A little tweaking to suit our taste would be preferable for us (maybe a little sugar, some hot sauce and some more beans). It was very, very easy to make. Served with Recipe #284773. Made for Spring 2012 PAC.