Prep 45 mins
Cook 15 mins
Easy, uses frozen dumplings. Makes a big potful, had to guess at number of servings. I adapted this from the basic recipe on the frozen dumpling box. I always use Anne's Dumplings in the red box (www.annesdumplings.com) but you could use any brand frozen dumpling strips.
- 1 whole chicken
- 1 -2 bay leaf
- salt and pepper
- 1 (1 1/2 lb) boxfrozen dumplings, strips
- 1 can campbell cream of chicken soup
- Rinse chicken and discard giblets.
- In a large pot boil the chicken with bay leaves, salt and pepper.
- Remove the chicken to a platter to cool; once cool enough to handle, remove meat from the bones.
- Skim the fat from the broth and add enough water to get 4 or 5 qts (I use a skimmer cup).
- Bring broth to a rolling boil and drop the frozen pastry strips in a few at a time, stirring to separate and return to a boil before dropping in more.
- When all the strips are in the pot, reduce heat to medium-low and let boil a few minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and stir in chicken meat and cream of chicken soup, stirring until chicken soup is incorporated.
- Season to taste with black pepper- should already be salty enough from the cream of chicken soup, but taste and add salt if necessary.
- Remove from heat, cover and let stand 15 minutes before serving.
- I serve this with cornbread; green peas are a good side dish.
Southern comfort food at its best, and without all the fuss! I am not good at making dumplings from scratch, so this was perfect for me. I had a different brand of dumplings but I imagine they're all about the same. This will be the way I make them from now on. Thanks for sharing your recipe. Diane
Being from NC, I grew up on the thin, strip type pastry. Ever since I was married I've cooked chicken pastry my own self, but this was the first time I used bay leaves and cream of chicken soup. It was sooooo good!! Even before the soup was added I could tell that the bay leaves had added so much flavor (I had to sneak a bite of chicken). My picky son even asked for more. The only addition I made was to add 1 chicken boullion cube to the broth. This is how I will make pastry from now own. Thanks so much for posting your recipe!