Recipe by children from A to Z
I found this recipe on the back of my electric bill. This would make a fast dinner bread. Give it a try and tell me what you think.
- 1 cup cornmeal (white or yellow)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch cayenne
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix in medium bowl, cornmeal and salt.
- In saucepan, bring 2 cups water and the butter to a boil.
- Add to cornmeal mixture, stirring with a whisk.
- Add cheese and stir until melted.
- Add milk and beat until smooth. Cool.
- Preheat oven to 375, lightly grease a 2-quart casserole dish.
- In a medium bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Beat egg yolks in small bowl until thick and light.
- Fold egg whites, yolks, cayenne and baking powder into cornmeal mixture until combined.
- Turn into prepared casserole dish.
- Bake for 55-60 minutes or until puffed and golden.
- Serve hot, with butter.