Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Source: Midwest Living
Make and share this Easy Butter Bars (Cake Mix) recipe from Food.com.
- Coat a 15x10x1-inch baking pan with some cooking spray.
- For the crust: In a medium mixing bowl, beat the cake mix, softened butter, and 1 egg with an electric mixer on low speed until mixture is crumbly.
- Pat into the bottom of the pan; set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine cream cheese, the 2 eggs, and butter flavoring, if you like, and beat until smooth.
- Add the powdered sugar and beat on low speed until well combined.
- Spread on top of crust in pan.
- Bake the bars in a 350 degree F oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until the filling is set and golden brown.
- Cool in pan on a wire rack. (The filling will fall when it's cooled.)
- Cut into the bars.
- Garnish with cranberries and fresh mint leaves, if you like.
Reviewed for Aus/NZ Forum Recipe Swap Sept 2011- a super easy slice/bars to make. I used a gluten-free yellow cake mix and maybe think could cut back a bit on the butter for the crust. I think the topping was incredibly easy to make and as it is very sweet-would like to add some lemon juice and zest to cut through the sweetness a little. Having said that- my youngest daughter and husband loved it totally as is and have been really enjoying themselves. Made 24- about 2 inch square serves for us. Photo to be posted