Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
Simple, easy dessert made with just what you have in your cupboard.
- 3 cups bread cubes (Just tear up bread, no need to buy bread cubes)
- 2 1⁄4 cups milk
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- Place bread cubes in a greased 9x9 inch baking dish.
- Combine remaining ingredients.
- Pour over bread cubes.
- Place in oven and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until knife comes out clean.
Very good.... I had a lot into it before I found out I didn't have any brown sugar on had... used regular sugar instead.. still it's very good.. next time will do the brown sugar tho... we love brown sugar/cinnamon everything! I served it with a vanilla sauce.. mmmmm.
This was so comforting & warming on a minus35C (25F...i think) morning! It definately put a smile on my face! I will make this many times!!! My only changes: 2 cups milk and no salt. Update: added 1 1/2 tsp pumpkin spice instead of cinnamon! Oh So Good!!!!
My mother used to make this recipe when I was a child and I've made it myself for more than 35 years. I use only 1/2 cup of brown sugar and 2-2.5 cups of bread cubes but otherwise it's exactly the same recipe. It's pure comfort food with a soft, melting kind of custard. Thanks for posting. I have it on a worn out recipe card. Now it's here and I don't have to post it!