Recipe by RedRacer
In college I worked for a Greek man & was absolutely addicted to the baklava he made. I asked him for his recipe & was determined to learn how to make it & make it easier...this is what I came up with & I am finally putting it somewhere I can find it. SO YUMMY!
- 5 teaspoons cinnamon
- 3 teaspoons ground cloves
- 3 cups walnuts, coarsly chopped
- 1 lb sweet unsalted butter, melted
- 1 lb phyllo pastry sheet
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup water
- orange peel, 3-inch strip
- lemon peel, 3-inch strip
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1⁄3 cup honey
- 1⁄2 lemon, juiced
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, mix the cinnamon, clove & walnuts together. Set aside.
- Brush the bottom of a 12x20 baking dish with butter.
- Place one pastry sheet in the dish & brush it with butter. Repeat this process so that 6 pastry sheets line the bottom of the dish.
- TIP: I pour my lukewarm butter in a spray bottle & mist the butter over the phyllo sheets. It prevents tearing & goes by so much quicker! Make sure you buy a misting bottle, not one that just streams -- it will make a big mess!
- Sprinkle 1/3 of the nut mixture over top of the pastry sheets. Repeat this process so there are 3 layers of the nut mixture & 4 layers of the 6 buttered pastry sheets.
- Cut the baklava into diamond shapes (making parallel horizontal lines in the dish & making diagonal lines vertically in the dish).
- Bake baklava for 40 minutes or until golden brown.
- While cooking, heat the sugar, water, orange peel, lemon peel & cinnamon stick to a boil & then simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add honey and bring mixture to a boil.
- Remove pan from heat and add lemon juice.
- Stir together and set aside to cool.
- Remove lemon peel, orange peel and cinnamon stick.
- Spread the cooled syrup evenly over the hot baklava.
- Cover with a dish towel and let sit for one hour before serving.