I'm Hispanic, my husband is a first generation Greek-American. Suffice to say that he's a Greek Food Purist...!!! He never thought I'd be able to produce anything that would be considered authentic. This easy version of Avgolemono Sauce, I'm happy to say, passes muster. This can be served on so many things, but our favorite is over Dolmades and over stuffed peppers. Nothing scary here, it's easy so long as you temper the eggs carefully and never let the sauce come to a boil.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a small saucepan, bring broth to a boil.
- 2In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs, then add the lemon juice and whisk until frothy.
- 3While continuing to whisk, pour half the boiling broth into the eggs in a small stream, whisking vigorously and continually so that the eggs don't cook.
- 4Return the broth to the flame and pour the tempered eggs into the remaining broth, whisking the whole time. Cook until the sauce thickens slightly, but NEVER LET THE SAUCE BOIL. This will take about five minutes.
- 5Serve immediately. This sauce doesn't reheat well.
Browse Our Top Savory Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Easy Avgolemono Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (324 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 182.4
- Calories from Fat 95
- Total Fat 10.5 g
- Saturated Fat 3.4 g
- Cholesterol 372.0 mg
- Sodium 640.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 5.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 2.3 g
- Protein 16.0 g