This Puerto Rican one-dish chicken and rice stew is rich in flavor. From Eating Well Magazine.
Make and share this Easy Asopao De Pollo - Chicken and Rice Stew recipe from Food.com.
- 2 1⁄4 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 4 chili peppers, chopped (Anaheim or poblano preferred)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1 (4 ounce) jar pimientos, rinsed
- 8 pimento stuffed olives, sliced
- 2 tablespoons capers, rinsed
- 8 cups water
- 2 1⁄2 cups brown rice
- 2⁄3 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add chicken, chiles, onion, oregano, paprika and salt and cook, stirring, until the onions have softened, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add tomato sauce, tomato, pimientos, olives, capers and water and bring to a boil. Stir in rice; return to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook, uncovered, until the sauce is thick, the rice is tender and the chicken is cooked through, 35 to 45 minutes.
- Stir in cilantro and serve.