Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
this recipe is real easy. My mother in law came to visit once from jordan and ever since my husband refuses to eat toast. but hey! i usually do the dough at night and bake it in the morning. but you dont need to leave it so much. just make sure the oven is real hot and dont open it too much.
- 2⁄3 teaspoon dry active yeast
- 2⁄3 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup warm water
- 3 cups flour
- add the first five ingredients together and leave them for at least ten minutes covered.
- mix with the flour. i usually use standard grade white flour and if i need more when im mixing up the dough i use wheatmeal flour.
- mix up the dough until you get it to bounce back slightly when you press it. it shouldnt be sticky.
- cover it with flour, leave it to rise covered for at least thirty minutes.
- divide up the risen dough into eight pieces and roll each one out.
- make each protion 15/18 cm in diameter.
- leave to stand for 10 minutes before baking.
- dont open the oven too much.
- take out the bread as soon as it has finished rising.
- you can freeze it after it has cooled down and reheat it for use later.
- note, its ok for the bread to go flat again after you take it out of the oven.
this recipe did not give the oven temperature, so I looked at other similar recipes and started out at 450 degrees after the first two were done, I increased it to 500 degrees. The other thing omitted was the amount of time to bake, I baked mine for approx. 4 minutes. All of my pitas popped and were very good. I would use this recipe again.
WOW these were great pitas! I used a packet of yeast which is probably a little more than specified. I heated the oven to just over 475, put the flattened dough in for 2 minutes, then flipped it and left it in for 1 more minute. My pitas puffed up beautifully and were soft and delicious with a nice pocket. Thanks for sharing a great recipe!
These pita came out really delicious!
It was very easy to follow the recipe and I didn't need to look how long I had to bake as I knew that I would see it!
We enjoyed them with roasted cauliflower, olive oil and #422392.
Thanks a lot !