Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
I have been obsessed with cranberry sauce for the last couple years. I wanted to find one that was easy but tasted complicated. I have tried dozens of recipes but each one was missing something so I created my own with the best parts of every recipe.
- 2 cups water
- 1 green apple, peeled and diced
- 3 cups fresh cranberries
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon orange extract
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup dried cranberries
- Sort the fresh cranberries, discarding any soft ones.
- Add dried cranberries, apples, cinnamon and cloves.
- In a saucepan over high heat, combine the orange extract, sugar and the water and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low and cover the pan partially. Simmer gently, stirring occasionally, until the sauce thickens, the apple is tender and the cranberries have burst, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Transfer the cranberry sauce to a heatproof bowl and let cool for 1 hour before serving or cover and refrigerate.