Recipe by Tyshero
This recipe is an adaption of one our neighbor serves on Christmas Eve. I am from the prairies, and the nearly four years spent in the Halifax area were the best. Now that I am back home, I miss it terribly. This recipe helps me feel like I am back there with my friends. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do.
Top Review by mama smurf
Made for SPRING PAC 2010 and this was an easy and tasty dish...one I definately will make again!!! I used shrimp, scallops and cod for the fish we totally enjoyed it. Thank you.
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 potato, grated
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 -3 stalks celery & tops, included
- 1 (370 ml) can evaporated milk
- 1 (370 ml) can milk (I use 1%)
- 1 white fish fillet (tilapia, cod, haddock)
- 1 lb mixed seafood (shrimp, scallops, lobster, crab or imitation flakes)
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Chop bacon, fry until brown. Drain most of the fat off.
- In the same pan, sauté the onion and celery until tender.
- Add bacon back to the pan.
- Add condensed milk and regular milk.
- Add potato and bay leaf.
- Cube fish and add to the pot.
- Add shrimp, scallops and whatever other seafood you are using.
- Cook on medium heat for about 20 minutes, or until potato is tender and seafood is cooked.
- If there are leftovers, they are best eaten within 2 days.
- Serve with warm buns or biscuits.
- Makes 4 main servings, or 8 appetizer servings.