Prep 10 mins
Cook 90 hrs
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 1⁄4 cups sifted pastry flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 cup sifted white cornmeal
- 1⁄8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg (or 1/4 teaspoon prepared ground nutmeg)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 teaspoons brandy, preferably apple brandy
- Thoroughly cream butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time (an electric mixer may be used for these first two steps).
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, and cornmeal; combine spices with flour mixture.
- Blend by hand the dry ingredients into the batter alternately with the brandy and vanilla.
- Pour into a greased shallow cake pan, 8-inches square or 10-inches by 6-inches, the pan lined with wax paper.
- Bake at 325°F for 1 1/2 hours.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- Invert on a cake rack and strip of the wax paper.
- Serve and enjoy--and prepare to serve second helpings!