Prep 0 mins
Cook 45 mins
So delicous - So simple to make!!
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 (14 ounce) caneagle brand sweetened condensed milk
- 1⁄2 cup key lime juice
- 2 -3 drops green food coloring, if needed (optional)
- 9 inches unbaked pastry shells
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- Preheat oven to 325°F In medium mixing bowl, beat egg yolks; gradually beat Eagle Brand and lime juice. Stir in food coloring, if using. Pour into pastry shell.
- Bake 30 minutes. Remove from oven. Increase oven temperature to 350°F.
- Meanwhile, for meringue, with clean mixer, beat egg whites and cream of tartar to soft peaks. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoons at a time. Beat 4 minutes or until stiff, glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved.
- Immediately spread meringue over hot pie, carefully sealing to edge of crust to prevent meringue from shrinking. Bake 15 minutes. Cool 1 hour. Chill at least 3 hours. Store covered in refrigerator.
I love this pie! I make it with regular limes and add the zest of 1 Lime to the custard. It is also 9 great lemon pie if yon change it to lemon juice and zest!