Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
For veggie lovers who want the taste of a "BLT" but without the "B". :)
Make and share this E L T Sandwiches - Eggplant (Aubergine), Lettuce, and Tomato San recipe from Food.com.
- 1 medium eggplant, peeled and cut into long strips (1/4-inch thick)
- 1 tablespoon liquid smoke
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 leaves lettuce
- 1 ripe tomatoes (sliced)
- 4 slices bread
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise, to taste (Vegenaise recommended, for vegetarian)
- Put eggplant slices in container and brush or sprinkle with liquid smoke.
- Cover and set aside for a 5 minutes.
- Heat oil in hot pan and fry the eggplant strips until browned.
- Coat one side of the bread slices lightly with mayonnaise (you can toast the bread, if you like).
- Layer the eggplant, lettuce, and tomato on the bread.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Note: avocado is a tasty addition to this sandwich.
You MUST try this luscious sandwich. I cut the eggplant crosswise and used toasted whole wheat hamburger buns and the optional avocado. I cooked the eggplant and some sweet onions on the grill using cooking spray and skipped the calories and fat of the olive oil. Can't wait to have this one again.