Recipe by TammieV
I love to make these out camping. After the meal I store leftovers in a zip-lock bag for breakfast (toasted on the grill with butter) or for lunch as rolls for sandwiches.
- 1 package dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons margarine or 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 cup warm milk
- 2 1⁄2-3 cups flour
Directions See How It's Made
- In large bowl dissolve sugar in the milk.
- Sprinkle yeast over top of the milk.
- Add remaining ingredients, using only 1 1/2 cup of flour.
- Beat until smooth.
- Continue mixing with hands adding flour to make a soft dough.
- Cover and let raise until doubled.
- I look for a sunny spot on the picnic table so that it will raise quicker.
- Form into balls and place in a lightly oiled Pot.
- Let raise until doubled.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes.
- For Dutch Oven users: About 6 or 8 coals on the bottom and 13 to 14 on top.
- I rotate the lid and oven a 1/4 turn every 10 to 15 minutes to insure even cooking.
- Do not be afraid to peak.
- Cooler days may take a little longer and warmer days may not take as long.
- Watch for the bread to pull away from the sides slightly and a nice light golden brown color on top.
- Don't burn!