Recipe by MarieRynr
This is an old country recipe from the Gloucestershire border, which makes use of windfall apples, pears and plums. Yield is estimated.
- 2 lbs pears
- 2 lbs cooking apples
- 2 lbs plums
- 1 lemon (grated zest and juice of)
- 1⁄2 ounce fresh gingerroot, bruised
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- 5 lbs sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel and core the pears and apples.
- Halve and stone the plums.
- Put all the fruit into a large pan with the lemon zest and juice; the ground cloves and bruised ginger root.
- Simmer very gently until the fruit is soft; if it starts to stick to the pan add a little water.
- Stir in the sugar until completely dissolved and then bring to the boil.
- Boil rapidly ( a good rolling boil) for about 15 to 20 minutes until setting point is reached, testing for set on a cold saucer.
- Pour into warm, sterilized jars, cover and seal.