Recipe by Manami
A Grace Parisi recipe, December 2004 edition of Food & Wine Magazine. Wow! This recipe really looks & sounds wonderful! Have yet to try it!
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 16 firm ripe baby bananas (about 3 pounds)
- 1⁄2 cup dulce de leche
- 2 vanilla beans, split lengthwise, seeds scraped
- 2 cinnamon sticks, broken in half (3-inch)
- 1⁄2 cup dark rum
- vanilla ice cream, for serving
- toasted & chopped macadamia nuts (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 450°F
- In a very large ovenproof skillet, melt the butter
- Add the bananas and cook over high heat until lightly browned, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the dulce de leche, vanilla beans and seeds and cinnamon sticks and cook over moderate heat just until the dulce de leche is melted.
- Remove skillet & carefully add the rum to the skillet and stir gently just until combined.
- Transfer the skillet to the oven and bake for 5 minutes, or until the bananas are just tender and bubbling.
- Carefully pick out the cinnamon sticks and vanilla beans.
- Serve the bananas and sauce over vanilla ice cream with chopped & toasted macadamia nuts, if desired.