Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 hrs
So named because there are two of them....and because I couldn't think of a better title right now. Yield is estimate depending on the size of your butts and how you'll be serving them. Prep time does not include 4-hour refrigeration period.
- 2 pork butt
- 3⁄4 cup apple juice
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup kosher salt, finely ground
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 1⁄2 cup paprika
- 1⁄3 cup garlic salt
- 1⁄3 cup kosher salt
- 1⁄4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano leaves
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Remove the fat cap and any large areas or pockets of external fat that can be easily trimmed away. The logic behind this method is that: ** Smoke and rub won't penetrate the external fat; ** It takes more time and fuel to cook a pork butt with all the fat intact; ** Unlike a brisket flat, which is quite lean and benefits from the protection that a layer of fat offers, a pork butt contains a tremendous amount of intramuscular fat, so the roast essentially "self-bastes" from the inside out; ** After many hours of cooking, much of the external fat renders away, and you're not going to eat the fat that's left--you're going to cut it away and discard it; ** Removing the external fat allows for the formation of more dark, flavorful outside meat that people enjoy so much.
- Moving right along --
- Mix the injection ingredients together and shoot 'em in those butts.
- Mix the rub ingredients together and rub and spank it on said butts.
- Refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
- Smoke at about 225F until internal temperature reaches 195°F (Approximately 10 hours over mesquite lump with hickory chunks.).
- Let rest for 15 minutes.
- Pull, and have fun. Put some meat in a bun with a little of your favorite BBQ sauce. Add a little coleslaw if you wish and enjoy.
Great recipe! I only used one roast and cut the injection and the rub in half. I still have rub left for another time. The subtle apple flavor blended throughout the meat and the combination of herbs and spices in the rub are just perfect. What a great meal this made tonight. Other than cutting back on quantity, I followed the recipe exactly and couldn't be happier with the results.