Recipe by Cynna
Duckling is a great delicacy in Tanzania and is usually served when there are special guests. The same recipe is used for other meats and is particularly good with veal and chicken. Accompaniments are cooked bananas (a must), rice, potatoes, cassava and Ugali made with white cornmeal.
- 6 lbs ducklings, cut into 12 pieces
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup tomatoes, diced in small pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon curry powder (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 tablespoons oil or 4 tablespoons margarine
- 4 large bananas
- 2 quarts water
Directions See How It's Made
- In a 6-quart Dutch oven or baking dish:
- Heat oil.
- Sauté: onion, tomatoes,salt, curry powder, and red pepper until soft.
- Add duckling pieces.
- Sauté the duckling lightly for 2 or 3 minutes.
- Add 2 quarts water. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes or bake at 350' until duckling is tender.
- Slightly green bananas or plantains may be simmered with the duckling.
- Or they may be prepared separately and served as a side vegetable.