Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr
Great side dish for duck. Use the outer ring from a 9"-diameter springform pan
Make and share this Duck Fat-Potato Galette With Caraway and Sweet Onions recipe from Food.com.
- Arrange a rack in middle of oven; preheat to 425°F Brush a foil- or parchment-lined baking sheet with butter; set springform ring on top.
- Cut potatoes into 1/8-inch-thick slices with a mandoline.
- Toast caraway in a small skillet over medium heat until fragrant, about 1 minute. Let cool.
- Place in a resealable plastic bag; crush with a rolling pin or bottom of a skillet. Place in a large bowl.
- Add duck fat, 2 tablespoons butter, 1 teaspoon salt, and pepper.
- Add potatoes; toss to coat.
- Arrange 1/4 of potatoes in an even layer inside ring on baking sheet, overlapping as needed.
- Toss onion in a large bowl with 1 tablespoon melted butter.
- Arrange 1/3 of onion over potatoes.
- Repeat layers twice more, finishing with a layer of potatoes.
- Carefully remove ring.
- Bake until potatoes are tender, about 45 minutes.
- Brush with 1 tablespoon butter.
- Bake until edges of potatoes are deep golden and top is crisp, 5-10 minutes longer.
- Run a thin spatula under galette to loosen from foil. Slide onto a platter. Season with salt, if desired.