I really like this fun version of mashed potatoes. Everyone gets their own serving or you can get really creative and pipe them around your entree. I also love that you can make them one day ahead. From Betty Crocker's Meat and Potatoes.
- Cut potatoes into large pieces if desired.
- Heat 1 inch water to boiling in Dutch oven.
- Add potatoes.
- Cover and heat to boiling; reduce heat.
- Cook whole potatoes 30 to 35 minutes, pieces 20 to 25 minutes, or until tender; drain.
- Shake pan gently over low heat to dry potatoes.
- Heat oven to 425ºF.
- Grease cookie sheet.
- Mash potatoes until no lumps remain.
- Beat in milk in small amounts.
- Add 1/2 cup butter, salt and pepper.
- Beat vigorously until potatoes are light and fluffy.
- Add eggs; beat until blended.
- Drop potato mixture by 12 spoonfuls into mounds onto cookie sheet; or place in decorating bag with star tip and form rosettes or pipe a border around meat or fish.
- If cooking now, brush with melted butter and bake about 15 minutes or until light brown.
- If making ahead, do not add the melted butter until ready to bake; cover and refrigerate up to 24 hours; bake 20 to 25 minutes or until light brown.