Dry Fried Mee Siam (Spicy and Tangy Siamese Noodles)
- Bring the 2 cups of water to a boil and add the prawns,removing them as soon as they are cooked.Put them in a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking. When cooled, peel the prawns and leave aside for garnishing.
- Blend garlic, shallots, preserved soy beans, dried prawns, dried chillies, candlenuts, lemongrass and shrimp paste into a paste.
- Fry paste in 1/3 cup oil, till fragrant.Add tamarind juice and 1 cup of stock from cooking the prawns.Bring to a boil and simmer for five minutes.
- Add noodles and stir-fry. Mix in tofu and toss well. Add sugar, pepper, fish sauce and a squeeze of lime juice.
- Lastly add in the beansprouts and the chives toss until breansprouts and chives are just limp.