Cook1 hr 30 mins
Thanksgiving wouldn't be Thanksgiving without this dish. I've no idea where the recipe came from originally--my grandmother has been making it since long before I was born.
- Boil the potatoes until done.
- Skin and mash potatoes while still warm. Add butter and salt to taste. Add milk until the consistency is like creamy mashed potatoes.
- Put potatoes in a 2 quart casserole dish. Scoop a hollow in the center of the potatoes and create a rim of potatoes around the edge of the pan. Set aside.
- In a double boiler, cook 1/4 lb butter, brown sugar, egg, and bourbon, stirring constantly, until thickened (1/2-3/4 hour--in my experience it never really thickens).
- Poor this syrup into the center hollow of the casserole and over the whole top.
- Line the edges of the casserole with the mini marshmallows.
- Bake at 350F for 45 minutes or until the sauce is a very dark brown.