1/1 Photo of Drunken Sweet Potato Casserole
2 hrs 30 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Thanksgiving wouldn't be Thanksgiving without this dish. I've no idea where the recipe came from originally--my grandmother has been making it since long before I was born.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Boil the potatoes until done.
- 2Skin and mash potatoes while still warm. Add butter and salt to taste. Add milk until the consistency is like creamy mashed potatoes.
- 3Put potatoes in a 2 quart casserole dish. Scoop a hollow in the center of the potatoes and create a rim of potatoes around the edge of the pan. Set aside.
- 4In a double boiler, cook 1/4 lb butter, brown sugar, egg, and bourbon, stirring constantly, until thickened (1/2-3/4 hour--in my experience it never really thickens).
- 5Poor this syrup into the center hollow of the casserole and over the whole top.
- 6Line the edges of the casserole with the mini marshmallows.
- 7Bake at 350F for 45 minutes or until the sauce is a very dark brown.
Browse Our Top Yam/Sweet Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Drunken Sweet Potato Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (177 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 361.8
- Calories from Fat 109
- Total Fat 12.2 g
- Saturated Fat 7.5 g
- Cholesterol 56.9 mg
- Sodium 192.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 54.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.1 g
- Sugars 27.0 g
- Protein 3.5 g