Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Gourmet. March 1990
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk, plus
- 1⁄4 cup buttermilk, for brushing the scones
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1⁄4 cups cake flour (not self-rising)
- 1 tablespoon double-acting baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄8 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into bits
- 1⁄2 cup dried sour cherries (available at specialty foods shops)
- granulated sugar, for sprinkling
- In a bowl whisk together 1/2 cup of the buttermilk, the egg, the brown sugar, and the vanilla until the mixture is combined well.
- In another bowl stir together the flour, the baking powder, the baking soda, and the salt and blend in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Stir in the cherries and the buttermilk mixture with a fork until the mixture just forms a sticky but manageable dough.
- Knead the dough gently for 30 seconds on a lightly floured surface, pat it into a 3/4-inch-thick round, and cut it into 8 wedges.
- On an ungreased baking sheet brush the wedges with the remaining 1/4 cup buttermilk and sprinkle them with the granulated sugar.
- Bake the scones in the middle of a preheated 400°F oven for 15 to 18 minutes, or until they are golden.