Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
These dessert packages are fun to make and a clever way to serve strudel. Try either tart dried cherries or the sweeter dried Bing - both available at specialty foods stores and most supermarkets. Prep time does NOT include standing tie to re-hydrate cherries. Taken from professional-cooking.com for ZWT.
- Place cherries in small bowl. Pour 3/4 cup boiling water over.
- Let stand until softened, about 30 minutes. Drain well.
- Pat cherries dry with paper towels.
- Mix cherries, nuts and jam in medium bowl.
- Lightly oil heavy medium baking sheet.
- Stack phyllo sheets on work surface.
- Trim to 10-inch square (save scraps for another use). Cover stack with plastic and damp kitchen towel.
- Place 1 phyllo square on work surface. Brush lightly with butter.
- Arrange another phyllo square atop, with corners at a slight angle. Brush lightly with butter.
- Repeat with 2 more squares, arranging corners at slight angle.
- Spoon 1/4 cup cherry mixture in center of phyllo stack.
- edges of phyllo and bring together around filling, forming bundle.
- With string, tie bundle just above filling. Place on prepared sheet.
- Repeat with remaining phyllo and filling, forming total of 6 bundles.
- Brush outside of filled portion (but not tops) of each bundle with butter. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover carefully and chill.).
- Preheat oven to 325°F
- Bake until phyllo is golden about 35 minutes.
- Transfer sheet to rack and cool. Carefully cut string from each bundle.
- Sift powdered sugar over bundles and serve.