This is an Asian dish I found. I have no clue who the original author is and I have no idea why it's called this.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 slices ham
- 1 chicken, de-boned and butterflied
- 4 cups peanut oil
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 slices gingerroot
- 4 water chestnuts, peeled and sliced lengthwise
- 4 scallions, cut into 3 inch pieces
- 1/2 cup bamboo shoot, sliced lengthwise
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice wine
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch, dissovled in
- 1 tablespoon chicken stock
- 1You will also need: 2 pieces of caul fat (A fatty diaphragm membrane from a pig or sheep intestine that resembles fine netting).
- 2Lay 2 slices of the ham on one side of the butterflied chicken breast.
- 3Refold the breast,enclosing the ham.
- 4Lay the breast on a sheet of caul fat.
- 5Roll up tight.
- 6Dust the surface with flour shaking off excess.
- 7Heat oil in a wok to 350°F.
- 8Slide the chicken breast into the oil 1 by 1 when they brown (about 5 minutes) remove 1 from the oil and press down on it if it still feels mushy it needs more cooking.
- 9Remove and drain the chicken.
- 10Slice the chicken crosswise diagonally, into 1/2 pieces.
- 11Vegetable Sauce:.
- 12Heat the 2 Tb of oil in a wok and flavor with garlic and ginger for a few seconds (do not let burn).
- 13Remove the Garlic and ginger and add the water chestnuts, bamboo shoots and scallions to the wok.
- 14Stir fry for 30 seconds then add soy sauce,rice wine and chicken broth.
- 15When the liquid boils, stir in dissolved cornstarch to thicken the sauce.
- 16Spread the sauce on a platter as a bed for the chicken.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Dragon & Phoenix
Serving Size: 1 (426 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2561.9
- Calories from Fat 2358
- Total Fat 262.0 g
- Saturated Fat 49.1 g
- Cholesterol 187.3 mg
- Sodium 779.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 1.6 g
- Protein 48.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: