Recipe by nanpie
Barley is a frequently overlooked, yet super-healthy ingredient; high in fiber, low glycemic index. This is an easy, tasty soup with a wonderful texture. I've made it several times, shared it with the neighbors and everyone likes it. VERY easy prep in the food processor using the slicing blade. Mushroom-wise, any type will do; I like baby portobellos. Try a thicker slice on the mushrooms for a "meatier" texture. I got this recipe online from Dr. Weil's Healthy Kitchen at www.drweil.com
Top Review by nemokitty
Very good soup! I was surprised how much flavor it had. I had to use chicken stock, button mushrooms and dried parsley. It definitely makes alot. I had another bowlful for breakfast today. I also added some Italian seasoning to it and parmesan cheese. We ate it with saltine crackers. Made for Fall PAC 2012.
- 3⁄4 cup pearl barley
- 11 cups vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped onions
- 1 cup sliced carrot
- 1⁄2 cup sliced celery
- 1 cup thinly sliced mushroom
- sea salt
- 1⁄2 bunch parsley, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine barley and 3 cups of stock in a saucepan. Bring to boil over medium heat, cover and simmer about 1 hour or until the liquid is absorbed.
- Meanwhile slice all the veggies using a food processor.
- Add all veggies and remaining stock to a stockpot, simmer 20 minutes, covered.
- Add the barley and chopped parsley, stir, simmer 5 minutes more, add salt to taste. Enjoy!