Barley is a frequently overlooked, yet super-healthy ingredient; high in fiber, low glycemic index. This is an easy, tasty soup with a wonderful texture. I've made it several times, shared it with the neighbors and everyone likes it. VERY easy prep in the food processor using the slicing blade. Mushroom-wise, any type will do; I like baby portobellos. Try a thicker slice on the mushrooms for a "meatier" texture. I got this recipe online from Dr. Weil's Healthy Kitchen at www.drweil.com
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Combine barley and 3 cups of stock in a saucepan. Bring to boil over medium heat, cover and simmer about 1 hour or until the liquid is absorbed.
- 2Meanwhile slice all the veggies using a food processor.
- 3Add all veggies and remaining stock to a stockpot, simmer 20 minutes, covered.
- 4Add the barley and chopped parsley, stir, simmer 5 minutes more, add salt to taste. Enjoy!
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Dr. Weil's Barley and Vegetable Soup
Serving Size: 1 (111 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 156.7
- Calories from Fat 44
- Total Fat 4.9 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 26.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.4 g
- Sugars 3.3 g
- Protein 3.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: