Recipe by Leah's Kitchen
This recipe has pesto not only on top but in the crust too! We have for years had pesto pizza regularly for lunches since we often have huge basil plants to make pesto from, but recently I thought of adding even more pesto flavor by adding it to the crust.
FOR THE DOUGH
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup pesto sauce
- 2 -2 1⁄2 cups flour
FOR THE TOPPING
- 1⁄2 cup pesto sauce
- mozzarella cheese or parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Pour water and yeast into a bowl and let sit for 5 minutes till it becomes bubbly.
- Add salt and pesto;mix together.
- Add flour 1/2 cup at a time.
- When it starts to stick together and form a loose ball in the bowl scrape the dough out onto a clean surface and knead until it is relatively smooth and only sticks a little to your hands-about 7-10 minutes.
- Place dough back into the bowl and let rise for a half an hour or till doubled.
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Once the dough has risen divide it in half and place each half on a greased or cornmealed baking sheet.
- Spread the dough out gently to get it close to the edges but not all the way, let it sit 5 minutes and push it to the edges of the pan(waiting like this make it easier to spread).
- Spread 1/4 cup of pesto over each pizza.
- Sprinkle with your choice of either mozzarella or parmesan.
- Bake near the bottom of the oven for 8-13 min- until it turns golden on the bottom and around the edges.