Prep 1 hr
Cook 35 mins
Very moist chocolate cake with cola in the cake and the frosting. Similar to Cracker Barrel recipe.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup cola drink
- 1 ounce semisweet baking chocolate
- 3⁄4 cup miniature marshmallow (i leave out)
- 2 1⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa powder
- 1⁄4 cup cola drink
- 1⁄4 cup chocolate syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- In a saucepan, bring 1/2 cup butter, 1 cup cola and baking choclate to a boil.
- Remove from heat and stir in marshmallows until dissolved.
- Set aside and allow to cool to room tempurature.
- In a bowl, combine flour, 3/4 cup cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- With an electric mixer, beat together sugar, shortening, oil and 2 tsp vanilla until fluffy.
- Add eggs, buttermilk, and beat until smooth.
- Add 1/2 of the dry mixture into the wet mixture and beat until smooth, scaping the sides of the bowl often.
- Add colled cola mixture and beat.
- Add remaining dry mixture and beat for 4 minutes. Batter will be thick.
- Pour batter into a greased and floured 13 x 9 x 2 baking pan.
- Bake on top rack of a 350 degree oven for 35-40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cream butter with electric mixer.
- Add 1/2 cup cocoa powder, 1/4 cup cola, choclate syrup and 1 tsp vanilla and beat until smooth.
- Slowly add powdered sugar, scaping the sides f the bowl often, while beating with the mixer.
- If frosting seems dry, add small amounts of cola until you reach desired consistency.
- Frost cake while warm.