Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
These scrumptious cookies deliver the combination of flavors of dark-chocolate nut bark. The recipe calls for roughly chopped bar chocolate. If you prefer a less intense dark-chocolate flavor, try slightly less cocoa content. This is for true chocolate lovers only. LOL I got this recipe from a local magazine.
- 8 ounces unsalted butter, 2 sticks
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 5 1⁄2 ounces dark chocolate, minimum 60 percent cocoa content
- 3⁄4 cup walnuts, roughly chopped
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups packed dark brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cut 8-ounce (2 sticks) unsalted butter into pieces and allow to soften.
- In medium bowl, mix together 1 1/2 cups flour, 1/2 cup cocoa powder, salt and baking powder; set aside.
- On cutting board, chop 5 1/2 ounces dark chocolate into 1/2-inch chunks; set aside.
- Roughly chop 3/4 cup walnuts and set aside.
- In separate bowl using an electric mixer, cream together butter with both sugars. Add the eggs, one at a time, to creamed mixture. Beat in 1 t pure vanilla extract.
- Slowly add dry ingredients to creamed mixture, beating well with electric mixer after each addition.
- Stir in chocolate chunks and walnut pieces using wooden spoon.
- Drop 1 1/2-inch balls of dough onto greased cookie sheet.
- Bake 9 minutes on middle oven rack.
- Let cookies cool for several minutes on cookie sheet before transferring to a cooling rack (they will be too soft when first removed from oven).
Super easy to make. I used dark chocolate chips from ghiardhelli..delicious!
I needed to "veganize" some cookies for a customer and I made the necessary changes (not so many really) to this recipe--used vegan non-hydrogenated shortening in place of the butter and a very ripe banana in place of the egg. Also used vegan sugar (not conventionally milled)--otherwise followed directions (vegan chocolate is just good chocolate without added milk or egg products)---and this was a delicious cookie and a big hit with the vegans!!!! Thanks, Lainey!
Wow these turned out great! Nice and moist and just the right amount of sweetness! Warning though these babies REALLY puff up and spread once in the oven so better keep the balls nice and small