Cook3 hrs 50 mins
This granita is flavored with both cocoa powder and semisweet chocolate, complemented with cinnamon and nutmeg. It's guaranteed to satisfy your sweet tooth! This comes from a recipe posted in several places around the Web. Cooking time is freezing time.
- In a medium saucepan, dissolve sugar in water and vanilla. Bring to a boil, let boil one minute, then remove from heat.
- Stir remaining ingredients into sugar water until it is well mixed and chocolate is completely melted.
- Pour into a 9" x 9" baking pan.
- Cover loosely and freeze for two hours, until it is frozen at the edges. Scrape the ice with a fork, mixing it towards the center of the dish.
- Repeat every 30 to 40 minutes, until the granita is completely frozen (the texture should be somewhere between slushy and flaky).
- Keep frozen until ready to serve. Should the granita become too solid before serving, use a fork to loosen it, and let sit for a few minutes to soften slightly.
- QUICK FREEZE METHOD: Freeze mixture into an ice cube tray; once solid, use a food processor or ice shaver to flake.