Prep 20 mins
Cook 32 mins
Source: Better Homes & Gardens
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup dried tart cherry, snipped
- 2 cups quick-cooking rolled oats
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup slivered almonds, coarsely chopped
- 2 (12 ounce) jars cherry preserves
- 1 teaspoon lemon peel, finely shredded
- 1⁄2 cup semisweet chocolate piece
- 1 teaspoon shortening, melted
- In a small saucepan bring water to boiling.
- Remove from heat.
- Add dried cherries and let stand for 10 minutes or until softened.
- Drain and set aside.
- For crust, in a large mixing bowl combine oats, flour, brown sugar, baking powder, and baking soda.
- Using a pastry blender, cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Reserve 1 cup of the crumb mixture.
- Stir the almonds into the reserved crumb mixture; set aside.
- Press remaining crumb mixture into the bottom of an ungreased 15x10x1-inch baking pan.
- Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, for filling, stir together the drained cherries, cherry preserves, and lemon peel.
- Spread the filling evenly over baked crust; sprinkle with reserved crumb mixture.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes more or until top is golden brown.
- Cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
- In a small saucepan combine the chocolate pieces and shortening; heat over medium-low heat until chocolate is melted.
- Drizzle melted chocolate mixture over baked bars.
- Cut into bars.