Recipe by Charlotte J
It is really snowing outside today (11/10/06)! First snow if the season and I feel like soup! Beer or non-alcoholic beer could be used instead of milk.
Top Review by *Parsley*
Mmmmmmm! Thick and cheesey. I loved that cheese combination. This is a great soup for little kids because it's thick enough to cling to their spoons, so they won't get frustrated or (overly) messy. Most kids love ham and cheese! I made this just as written, using the milk. I'm sure the beer would be great, but I wouldn't replace all the milk with beer...maybe half. This recipe is a real keeper. I'll be making this again. I may even try some smoked gouda! Thanx for sharing.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup onion, diced
- 1⁄2 cup celery, washed, diced
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups milk, warm
- 1 cup wisconsin sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup wisconsin gouda cheese, shredded
- 5 drops hot sauce
- 1⁄2 cup ham, diced
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives, minced
- white pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Over medium heat, in a heavy bottomed sauce pan, heat butter until melted.
- Stir in onion and celery, cover.
- Cook 3 minutes or until transparent stirring often to prevent browning.
- Stir in flour to thicken cooking until it bubbles.
- Slowly stir in warm milk, mixing until thickened and smooth.
- Bring to a simmer (do not boil) and continue stirring. Reduce to very low heat and add Wisconsin Cheddar and Wisconsin Gouda cheeses, white pepper and hot sauce.
- Stir until well blended.
- Add ham and chives.