Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
A special drink for a warm day.
- 1 lb strawberry, for puree
- 1 lb raspberries (combination of strawberry, blackberries or 1 lb blueberry) or 1 lb mixed berry, for sodas (combination of strawberry, blackberries or 1 lb blueberry)
- 2 cups vanilla ice cream or 2 cups frozen yogurt
- 4 1⁄3 cups sparkling water or 4 1⁄3 cups seltzer water, chilled
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon cherry brandy, if desired (optional)
- Strawberry Puree:
- Rinse and hull the strawberries for puree. Place in blender or food processor and puree until smooth.
- Strain and refrigerate until ready to make sodas.
- For each soda:
- Rinse berries for sodas.
- Hull and halve or quarter, if using strawberries.
- Frost very tall glasses (one per serving) as follows:
- Spread 1/4 cup sugar evenly on small plate, measure 1/4 cup water into small bowl.
- Dip rims of glasses first in water, then in sugar to coat rims.
- Keep glasses in freezer until ready to prepare sodas.
- Layer berries and ice cream in frosted glasses: about one-fourth of berries, small scoop ice cream, and another one-fourth of berries, second scoop of ice cream, another one-fourth of the berries, etc. (Sodas can be held in freezer for several hours at this point.).
- In large pitcher gently blend puree, sparkling water, lemon juice and brandy. Pour into prepared frosted glasses. Garnish with mint leaves and remaining berries.
It might not have been the warmest of days when I made these, but we had GREAT BERRY SODAS, for sure! I did cut the recipe in half for the 2 of us, pureed frozen strawberries & managed to find some fresh raspberries! Even went the extra mile (for me, anyway!) & followed the recipe (minus the cherry brandy) right down to the last mint leaf & berry! This is definitely 'a special drink!' [Tagged, made & reviewed as a PRESSIE in the Aus/NZ 13 Days of Christmas Recipe Swap]