Recipe by drhousespcatcher
From Ruby Anns's down home trailer park cookbook.
Top Review by prisonwidow2002
this is a new twist on one of my family's recipe. VERY GOOD. we make it every time we have mashed potatos left over. just a note--real mashed potatos are better than instant, but instant potatos do work for this.
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup shortening or 1 cup Crisco or 1 cup lard or 1 cup butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup mashed potatoes
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Sift together the first 5 ingedients. Do not sift the Crisco. It will cause a heck of a mess. Set this aside.
- Cream the shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. For best get one of the kids. It will keep him or her busy, give them exercise, make them feel like a cook and teach you to keep your eye on both what you are doing and the kid. If you don’t, he or she will eat the whole darn thing. I know.
- Add the eggs and beat until fluffy. Once upon a time that was a danger zone for child gobbling the recipe up too. Alas no more.
- Add those left over mashed potatoes and the vanilla. Mix well. Alternate the flour mix and the milk then after mix in the nuts.
- Pour in a 13 inch by 9 inch by 2 inch sheet pan. Bake at 350F for 40 to 45 minutes. Cool in pan and after cooling cut into bars. Top with whipped cream and serve with ice cream if desired.