I give it this name because I purchased ALL of the ingredients from the dollar store near my office building. The original recipe on the bag of potatoes called only for bacon. Thanks to you all, I've learned a lot about improvising, so I played around with it and added the ham and corn. I really think it's perfect for a chilly day and tastes even better the next day. You can use higher cost ingredients if you choose, but poor unloved bachelors like myself have to make do LOL!!!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 -8 slices bacon, chop into small pieces (I use kitchen shears.)
- 1/2 cup of chopped white onion
- 1/2 cup of shredded carrot
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 6 ounces ham steaks, diced
- 1 cup frozen white corn or 1 cup frozen corn
- 16 ounces shredded or diced hash browns
- 1 cup milk (full, low-fat or non-fat)
- 1Cook bacon in large saucepan over medium heat; cook until crisp.
- 2Add onion and carrots to pan; cook for 3 minutes.
- 3Add flour and stir until smooth.
- 4Slowly stir in broth.
- 5Bring to a boil while stirring.
- 6Add hash browns, corn and ham, then reduce heat to medium/low.
- 7Simmer up to 8 minutes, stirring every two minutes.
- 8Add milk, stir and cover; allow to cook for 3 minutes.
- 9*The time may vary; I have an electric stove; a gas stove may take longer.
Browse Our Top Chowders Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Dollar Store Chowder
Serving Size: 1 (379 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 441.1
- Calories from Fat 211
- Total Fat 23.5 g
- Saturated Fat 6.0 g
- Cholesterol 33.8 mg
- Sodium 1281.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.6 g
- Sugars 2.5 g
- Protein 16.1 g