Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I give it this name because I purchased ALL of the ingredients from the dollar store near my office building. The original recipe on the bag of potatoes called only for bacon. Thanks to you all, I've learned a lot about improvising, so I played around with it and added the ham and corn. I really think it's perfect for a chilly day and tastes even better the next day. You can use higher cost ingredients if you choose, but poor unloved bachelors like myself have to make do LOL!!!
- 6 -8 slices bacon, chop into small pieces (I use kitchen shears.)
- 1⁄2 cup of chopped white onion
- 1⁄2 cup of shredded carrot
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 6 ounces ham steaks, diced
- 1 cup frozen white corn or 1 cup frozen corn
- 16 ounces shredded or diced hash browns
- 1 cup milk (full, low-fat or non-fat)
- Cook bacon in large saucepan over medium heat; cook until crisp.
- Add onion and carrots to pan; cook for 3 minutes.
- Add flour and stir until smooth.
- Slowly stir in broth.
- Bring to a boil while stirring.
- Add hash browns, corn and ham, then reduce heat to medium/low.
- Simmer up to 8 minutes, stirring every two minutes.
- Add milk, stir and cover; allow to cook for 3 minutes.
- *The time may vary; I have an electric stove; a gas stove may take longer.