Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
I didn't know I was in need of a chocolate Italian cookie, unitl I read a request for one on the discussion board. I felt a kinship with the recipe and immediately made it.The cookie tasted just like Christmas to me. It is a beautiful addition to any cookie tray. KimD supplied this recipe found on the internet.These freeze well or stay for two weeks in a Tupperware in the refrigerator.
- 4 cups flour
- 1 3⁄4 cups sugar, plus
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon clove
- 3⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 6 tablespoons cocoa
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1 teaspoon extract (vanilla, almond, or anise)
- 1⁄2 cup nuts (I rolled my cookie balls in the nuts _about 1-1/2 cups) (optional)
- Sift the dry ingredients together.
- Heat the milk until very warm but not boiling and melt the shortening in the milk.
- Let it cool and add in the dry ingredients.
- Add the nuts if desired.
- Roll in 1-inch balls and bake in a preheated 375° oven for about 12 minutes.
- Frost with the following recipe.
- 1-cup confectioners’ sugar.
- 1-teaspoon anise or vanilla extract (I made two icings and use anise and vanilla flavorings).
- Mix confectioners’ sugar with enough milk to make the icing spreadable.
- Mix in anise or vanilla extract and frost the cookies.
i am cooking with the kids and trialing cookies for christmas and my kids loved these. they helped me make them and thought they were delicious. many thanks