Recipe by D2thaK
Half rich beefy chili, half veggie chili, this recipe is the best of both worlds! I combined one batch of beef chili with one batch of veggie chili in the same pot. Beef to make my husband happy and veggies to make his heart happy!
Top Review by linguinelisa
Excellent chili recipe! I cut the recipe in half and used a can of black beans, 8oz. can of tomato sauce and most of a 16oz. can of tomatoes. You could also add shredded or finely diced carrots and chopped mushrooms to the chili if you like. My package of Carrol Shelby chili mix had only 1 packet of red pepper......I used about 1/2 of it, it wasn't very hot. Also only had 1 packet of salt, if I had one thing to do over I would use it on the hamburger as it is browning and the vegetables are they are sauteeing. Thanks for posting. Made for Spring Pick-A-Chef 2013.
- 2 lbs 93% lean ground beef
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 2 -3 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 1 1⁄2 green bell peppers, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 small zucchini, diced
- 1⁄4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 (15 ounce) can corn, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 packages chili, mix (Wick Fowler or Carol Shelby(seasoning only. Dont follow directions on the boxes!)
- fat free cheddar cheese, light sour cream, cilantro and chopped onion to garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Spray a large stockpot with cooking spray.
- Brown ground beef in pan.
- While beef is browning, chop/dice onions,garlic, peppers, zucchini and cilantro. Set aside.
- When beef is no longer pink, drain and rinse with hot water to remove any remaining fat. Set aside.
- Rinse and dry stockpot.
- Spray stockpot again with cooking spray.
- Add chopped veggies to pan and saute until limp.
- Add cilantro, corn, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes and both beans.
- Stir to combine.
- Fill tomato sauce can and diced tomato can with water and add to pan.
- Stir in seasonings from both chili mix packages. (I omit the salt and only use 1 package of red pepper.) Set the 2 packages of masa aside.
- Cover and simmer until you can't stand the smell! If needed, mix masa with water and add to the chili to thicken a few minutes before serving.
- Enjoy with fat free cheddar cheese, light sour cream, additional cilantro, chopped onion or anything else you choose!