Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Half rich beefy chili, half veggie chili, this recipe is the best of both worlds! I combined one batch of beef chili with one batch of veggie chili in the same pot. Beef to make my husband happy and veggies to make his heart happy!
- 2 lbs 93% lean ground beef
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 2 -3 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 1 1⁄2 green bell peppers, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 small zucchini, diced
- 1⁄4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 (15 ounce) can corn, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 packages chili, mix (Wick Fowler or Carol Shelby(seasoning only. Dont follow directions on the boxes!)
- fat free cheddar cheese, light sour cream, cilantro and chopped onion to garnish
- Spray a large stockpot with cooking spray.
- Brown ground beef in pan.
- While beef is browning, chop/dice onions,garlic, peppers, zucchini and cilantro. Set aside.
- When beef is no longer pink, drain and rinse with hot water to remove any remaining fat. Set aside.
- Rinse and dry stockpot.
- Spray stockpot again with cooking spray.
- Add chopped veggies to pan and saute until limp.
- Add cilantro, corn, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes and both beans.
- Stir to combine.
- Fill tomato sauce can and diced tomato can with water and add to pan.
- Stir in seasonings from both chili mix packages. (I omit the salt and only use 1 package of red pepper.) Set the 2 packages of masa aside.
- Cover and simmer until you can't stand the smell! If needed, mix masa with water and add to the chili to thicken a few minutes before serving.
- Enjoy with fat free cheddar cheese, light sour cream, additional cilantro, chopped onion or anything else you choose!
Excellent chili recipe! I cut the recipe in half and used a can of black beans, 8oz. can of tomato sauce and most of a 16oz. can of tomatoes. You could also add shredded or finely diced carrots and chopped mushrooms to the chili if you like. My package of Carrol Shelby chili mix had only 1 packet of red pepper......I used about 1/2 of it, it wasn't very hot. Also only had 1 packet of salt, if I had one thing to do over I would use it on the hamburger as it is browning and the vegetables are they are sauteeing. Thanks for posting. Made for Spring Pick-A-Chef 2013.