Recipe by mollypaul
The perfect combination of Southern cuisine...stewed chicken in a silky sauce ladled generously over cornbread. From the Southern chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947. Cooking time for the chicken not included in preparation time.
- 1 large whole chicken, cooked
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 lb mushroom, sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- salt and pepper, to taste
Southern Corn Bread
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
Directions See How It's Made
- Make the cornbread:.
- Preheat oven to 450F and grease an 8" square pan.
- Sift dry ingredients together.
- Mix egg and buttermilk together and add to dry ingredients.
- Add melted butter and pour into prepared pan.
- Bake for approximately 18 minutes.
- Remove skin and bones from cooked chicken.
- Cut meat into small pieces.
- Make a sauce using chicken stock and flour; add chicken.
- Saute mushrooms in butter, season and add to chicken and sauce mixture; heat thoroughly.
- Cut cornbread into 8 squares; split squares.
- Place lower half of cornbread on a plate; cover with some of the chicken mixture.
- Replace the top half and cover with more of the chicken mixture.
- Serve immediately.