1/2 Photos of Disney's Epcot World Showcase Moroccan Roast Lamb Shank Meshoui
5 hrs 15 mins
Garden Gate Kate's Note:
Fork tender lamb shanks in a fragrant sauce with a subtle amount of spices. If you like it spicier, triple the amount of turmeric, paprika, cumin, and ginger. Restaurant Marrakesh's best dish in Walt Disney World's Epcot. You can ask any Disney restaurant for a recipe, and the chef will give it to you.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 lamb shanks
- olive oil, for browning
- salt, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 stalk celery, finely sliced
- 1 carrot, finely sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes, not drained
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron
- salt, to taste
- 1 quarter preserved lemons or 1 quarter fresh lemon
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 1 1/2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 -2 cup water
- 3 medium zucchini, quartered lengthwise and then cut in 2 inch long pieces
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 1Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- 2Sprinkle lamb with salt and black pepper. In a large skillet over medium heat, cook lamb in olive oil until brown on all sides. Transfer to a rectangular baking pan with 2 to 3 inch high sides. Set aside.
- 3In the same skillet over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon olive oil, 3 tablespoons butter, onion, celery, carrots, bell pepper, and garlic. Brown vegetables in olive oil and butter, stirring occasionally. Stir in tomatoes including liquid, turmeric, paprika, cumin, ginger, saffron, salt, one lemon quarter, brown sugar, and water. Bring to a boil. Pour tomato mixture over browned lamb in baking pan.
- 4Wrap pan tightly with aluminum foil. Bake at 350F for 4 hours or until tender.
- 5Remove foil. Add zucchini, parsley, and cilantro and additional water if needed. Increase oven temperature to 400F degrees. Recover with aluminum foil. Bake for 45 minutes longer or until zucchini is tender.
- 6Remove lemon quarter and serve.
- 7OPTIONAL FINAL STEP: The final step that Restaurant Marrakesh performs before serving is removing the lamb and zucchini from the pan. Then, transfer leftover sauce and vegetables back to the skillet that was used to brown the lamb. Bring to a boil, and simmer the sauce until reduced a little on the stovetop. Then, strain the sauce, discard the vegetables, and serve sauce over the lamb and zucchini. I do not perform this final step because I like eating the onion, celery, carrot, and red bell pepper which have absorbed the flavorful spices.
- 8Restaurant Marrakesh serves their Roast Lamb Meshoui with a side of Roasted Eggplant Purée, but I like mine over jasmine rice. Note: Restaurant Marrakesh serves two different roast lamb dishes. This is NOT their Couscous with Lamb Shank.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Disney's Epcot World Showcase Moroccan Roast Lamb Shank Meshoui
Serving Size: 1 (696 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 804.8
- Calories from Fat 420
- Total Fat 46.6 g
- Saturated Fat 19.8 g
- Cholesterol 265.0 mg
- Sodium 283.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.1 g
- Sugars 11.8 g
- Protein 75.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: