Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
Some types of dinosaurs eat plants (zucchini), others eat meat (beef) and the not-yet-discovered Mole dinosaurs prefer chocolate! A fast, affordable one pot meal for kids of all ages. You can use any canned pasta for kids (Spaghetti-O or other shapes) to make it fun; shown in my photo are Annie's Organics All-Stars.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup purple onion, diced
- 1 cup zucchini, diced (peel it for picky eaters)
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 1⁄4 ounces taco seasoning
- 1 (12 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (14 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 (15 ounce) can pasta (Chef Boyardee Mini Dinosaurs)
- cheddar cheese (optional topping)
- In a large pot, melt the butter over medium-high heat; add the chocolate chips and stir constantly until they melt. Add the onion and keep stirring - it will bubble and smell delicious as it caramelizes. Add the zucchini and keep stirring from time to time for 2-3 more minutes, until the veggies are cooked.
- Add the meat and taco seasoning. Stir together and cook for five minutes or so, until the meat appears cooked.
- Add the kidney beans, tomato paste, 1/2 cup water, cumin and full contents of the mini dinosaur can. Stir everything together.
- Reduce heat and simmer for at least 10 minutes.
- Serve in bowls, topping with cheddar cheese if desired!
Made for PRMR!! Very unique and interesting recipe, and we enjoyed! Don't be intimidated by the ingredients!!!
Well who'd a thunk it? This is great! Who knew chocolate and kidney beans and chef boy ardee worked so well together? NOT ME! I cut the recipe in half as there are 2 of us and because I really was unsure of this. I did not use the dinosaurs but did have a can of spaghettio's left from babysitter nephew snacks. Well this was rich, thick, and quite flavorful. I KNOW it was the chocolate. LOL I liked that it went together so quick as opposed to the chili on the kettle all day type. Really worked out well for me and I will save this to my quick and easy cookbook. Thank you chef and good luck. Dining on a $ Contest 2011