Prep 10 mins
Cook 18 mins
I have always disliked baked beans, but I was served and couldn't stop eating these. A few years later I found out it was a recipe from Dinosaur Barbecue, a famous restaurant based in Rochester, NY. I searched the internet for a version of the recipe not using Dinosaur BBQ's "Mutha Sauce," and doubled the amount of Italian sausage to make them really meaty. I cooked this in a cast-iron dutch oven and brought it camping the next day. It was amazing reheated and great with potatoes baked in the fire. It's almost like chili and very filling. NOTE: I'm not sure about the serving amount. This really makes plenty, and everyone ate several big helpings.
- 2 (1587.57 g) can baked beans (I used Bush's Homestyle. Choose a less-sweet variety.)
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (or more, if you love garlic)
- 453.59 g hot Italian sausage, casings removed
- 14.79 ml Dijon mustard
- 14.79 ml ketchup
- 29.58 ml Worcestershire sauce (I accidentally only put 1 in when I made this, still loved it)
- 14.79 ml cider vinegar
- 14.79 ml molasses
- 4.92 ml chili powder
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat olive oil to medium-high in a large saucepan, and cook onion and pepper until soft, adding salt and pepper.
- When softened, add garlic and cook another minute.
- Add sausage, crumbling it into small pieces while it cooks.
- Drain some of the liquid from the beans- make it about the same level in the can as the beans themselves. Mix into the sausage/veggies.
- Turn the heat down to medium-low and add remaining ingredients. Cook for 5-7 minutes.
- Serve immediately, or let cool and reheat. We loved this the next day, as the flavors had a chance to really mix.
Great receipe!!! Taste just like Dinosaur BBQ baked beans. Sweet yet have spicy kick to them. My husband ate them as a meal alone.
This is great! My husband says it's almost like eating chili. Not quite. It still tastes like beans, just with an awesome spicy Italian sausage kick. Try this!