Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A pretty basic pickle recipe
Make and share this Dill Pickles recipe from Food.com.
- Wash the cucumbers and quarter them length wise.
- Combine the vinegar, water, sugar, salt, and bay leaf in a enameled pot.
- Put the cloves ,celery seeds, peppercorns, mustard seeds, and 1/2 teaspoon of the dill seeds in a muslin bag and add it to the vinegar (if using fresh dill, omit the dill seeds here.)
- Bring this liquid to a boil, lower the heat, and let it simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaf and spice bag from the vinegar.
- Put 1/4 tsp dill seeds, or 1 head fresh dill weed, into each of the 2 clean quart jars.
- Fit the cucumber spears an compactly as possible into the jars and pour the hot vinegar mixture over them.
- The cucumbers should be completely covered with the liquid, and there should be at least 1/2 inch of headroom at the top.
- Screw down the lids and process the jars in a boiling-water bath for 20 minutes.
- Allow the pickles to cool, check the seals, and label the jars.
- The pickles will improve in flavor if left to ripen for a few months.
- Yields approximately 2 quarts.