Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
A friend in college gave me this recipe, if you can even call it that! Since then, I've shared it with pretty much everyone I know: friends, coworkers, family, EVERYONE! Finally, a relatively healthy alternative to chocolate cake! This cake comes out so moist and delicious! For those of you who are worried, it doesn't taste like Diet Coke - I promise!
- 510.29 g chocolate cake mix (I prefer a "fudge" cake mix with pudding in the mix, but this recipe will work with whatever you hav)
- 340.19 g can Diet Coke
- 226.79 g container Cool Whip Free or 226.79 g container Cool Whip Lite
- Preheat oven to temperature on cake mix box.
- Grease a 9x13 pan.
- Combine cake mix and Diet Coke in large mixing bowl. Mix according to directions on box. (For example, my favorite brand says to mix at medium speed for 2 minutes!).
- Pour into 9x13 pan. Bake 5 minutes less than the recommended time on the box. For example, if the box says to bake a 9x13 cake for 28 minutes, bake your Diet Coke Cake for 23. Cake is done when a fork or toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on wire rack.
- When cooled, frost with Cool Whip topping.
- Refrigerate leftovers. (I never have any!).
My aunt and I made this for my moms Bachelorette Party that we threw for her. My aunt didn't want to buy a cake but wanted us to make this cake for her party instead. I'm not sure where she got the recipe, I think from WW's maybe. Anyway, we used chocolate cake (my mom's favorite) and diet cherry coke. We frosted the cake with canned vanilla frosting. We baked in a bundt cake pan. I couldn't believe it but we go so many complaints and every wanted a piece. I felt badly because we underestimated how many people would actually want cake since so many people are watching their weigtht, etc. and the last few parties we had both been to so many people had turned down cake. Not one person turned down the cake - everyone wanted a piece. We had to cut the cake pieces small and then people were asking for seconds and there wasn't any left to give them seconds =( We didn't advertise this as being low-fat since we had frosted it nor did we tell people our little trick (diet soda). Her main reason that day for making this cake was because it is so easy & fast. This cake came out so moist.
I have since been to a tupperware party where they made this cake using a microwable bowl that they sell. (I bought one). They used diet orange soda & white cake mix frosted w/whipped topping...so good =)
Soooooo Good! i made cupcakes for my husband's 30th birthday with a side of WW Cookies and Cream ice cream. It was so tasty that he went back for seconds! Yum, yum and YUM! I will definitely make this again. Would love to try the diet cream soda with chocolate cake.
Wow this is good. I made cupcakes and used diet cherry Pepsi. I made 12 cupcakes and they really plumped up nicely. I also added 5 - 8 dark chocolate chips to the top of each cupcake. It makes me feel like a baker and really adds a nice treat and variety to my meals. Thank you for posting.