Prep 20 mins
Cook 18 mins
A great tasting muffin that is also a healthy choice. These will travel well if you pack a lunch.
Make and share this Diabetic Apple Oat Bran Muffins recipe from Food.com.
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup oat bran
- 1⁄8 cup Splenda brown sugar blend
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened applesauce
- 1⁄4 cup egg white
- 1 1⁄2 cups apples (peeled, cored, and finely chopped Golden Delicious is a good choice)
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Grease twelve 3-inch muffin cups or line with paper liners.
- In large bowl, combine both flours, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In medium bowl, beat buttermilk, oat bran, brown sugar, oil, applesauce and egg until blended.
- Stir buttermilk mixture into flour mixture just until combined.
- Fold in apples.
- Divide batter among muffin cups.
- Bake 18 to 20 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in centers comes out clean.
- Cool muffins in pan 5 minutes; remove from pan and cool on wire rack.
WOW! These little gems are absolutely yummy! I made them as a surprise for my sis just about 20 minutes ago and when I pulled them out of the oven (after 25 min. baking time) they smelled so heavenly that I just couldnt resist and had to eat one straight away. Yum, yum, yum! These are bursting with apple flavour, have just the right amount of fruity sweetness and a nice moist inside paired with a crunchy top. Plus they are very healthy and dont make you feel bad about eating one more (or two). ;) What more can you ask for in a muffin?! Thanks so much for sharing this fabulous recipe with us, Annacia! Im sure to make these very often again. Oh, before I forget: I used 1 1/4 c whole spelt flour + 1/4 cup normal spelt flour, cause I cant have wheat and needed to use up the whole spelt flour. Kinda goofed up a bit, cause forgot to add the oil, but the muffins turned out perfectly, so I think Ill just leave it out in the future also. Made and reviewed for Went to the Market Tag Game June 09.
These are so very very good Anna. I think what I like best is the fact that they aren't very sweet and that makes the apple taste come thru stronger. I didn't have any brownsugar Splenda and so subbed regular. Also, omitted the oil and used 2 T. unsweetened applesauce. Ground up old-fashioned oats for the oatbran part too. Really- Really good.!!!! Tagged for Photoforum 08'