Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
So called for the '6 6 6' recipe amounts. My Mom taught me this when I was a little girl, it is a great easy recipe that is easily committed to memory and takes 10 mins to make. You can omit the lemon for a plain sponge cake, or add cocoa powder instead of lemon to make a chocolate cake.
- 1 lemon
- 6 ounces self raising flour
- 6 ounces caster sugar
- 6 ounces margarine
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Pre heat oven to 175 degrees.
- Grease 2 (8 inch diameter) circular cake tins.
- Place all ingredients in a bowl or food processer.
- Combine all iingredients until well mixed and smooth in consistency (whizz for about 20 seconds if using a food processer).
- Divide the mixture equally between the two cake tins.
- Bake in oven for 20-30 mins until the tops are lightly browned and springy to the touch.
- Remove from oven and turn out onto a cake rack to cool.
- Sandwich the two cakes together with your choice of filling - I like seedless raspberry jam or lemon curd.
- Lightly dust the top of the cake with icing sugar.