Recipe by EdsGirlAngie
This is an easy, different and delicious preparation for halibut. Halibut chunks are breadcrumbed and baked in a sauce of tomato, garlic, curry powder, soy sauce and lemon, then topped off with sharp cheddar cheese. I find that this needs no additional salt, and it's absolutely scrumptious!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs halibut fillets, cut in 1 inch chunks
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup fine plain breadcrumbs (like Progresso)
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon curry powder (I use a Madras blend, heavy on the coriander)
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce or 2 tablespoons tamari soy sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium saucepan, combine the sauce ingredients: tomato sauce, chicken broth, olive oil, garlic, curry powder, lemon juice and soy sauce.
- Bring to a boil, then simmer on low heat for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- In large bowl, combine halibut fillet chunks with olive oil to coat.
- Add fine breadcrumbs, stirring around again to coat all sides of all pieces.
- Arrange breadcrumbed fish chunks in a greased 8x8 baking dish; evenly sprinkle all of the cheese on top and bake uncovered for 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven; evenly pour on 2/3 of the tomato sauce mixture; return to the oven for another 10 minutes.
- Serve fish with the rest of the sauce.