Recipe by sexymommalucas
Recipe from Panera Bread. This dish is the perfect focal point for any spring or summer brunch. The deviled chile crab will transport your taste buds to the Eastern shore of Maryland, while the Thai basil will offer flavors of the Orient.
- 6 live blue crabs (can also use dungeness)
- 1 serrano chili, seeded and minced
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon dried mustard
- 1 tablespoon Tabasco sauce
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, minced
- 2 cups sourdough breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup fresh Thai basil, chopped
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- Place the crabs in a large pot of boiling, salted water. Cook until all are bright red, about 3 to 5 minutes. Remove and cool.
- Remove the top shell from the crabs, keeping it intact. Rinse and reserve. Pick out all the meat (from claws, legs and behind the head) and discard the gills. Set picked meat aside.
- In a large bowl, combine crab, chile, paprika, dried mustard, Tabasco sauce, soy sauce, cream, eggs, breadcrumbs and all but 2 tablespoons of basil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Fill the cavity of each crab top-shell with stuffing and bake on a sheet pan, stuffing side up, for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a crust begins to form.
- Serve with a drizzle of oil and a sprinkle of reserved basil.