Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe is from 'Sweet Dreams' by Ina Pinkney. Easy to make and flourless which makes it perfect for the Passover holiday.
- 1 lb unsalted butter
- 1 lb high quality bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup strong brewed coffee
- 8 extra large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Butter the sides and bottom of a 10-inch springform pan and set aside.
- In the top of a double boiler, combine the butter, chocolate and coffee and melt slowly, stirring occasionally, until smooth.
- Remove from the heat and let cool for 5 minutes.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, sugar and vanilla until frothy.
- Whisk the eggs into the melted chocolate until combined.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 1 hour and cool on a wire rack until it reaches room temperature.
- Remove the sides of the pan, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight, before serving.
This is a very rich cake. My friends and family loved it. I can only eat a small sliver at a time--a little is more than satisfying. Thanks for a great recipe.
Don't let the Chocolate Police catch you with this cake or they will have to put you in jail. This is SO decadent it should be illegal! My springform pan sprung a leak at the last minute, so I used 2 9-inch glass cake pans and baked them for 55 minutes. Perfect. It's also good with almond extract. Heaven! Thanks Dojemi!